This time on the occasion of Raksha Bandhan i tried Milkcake(Kalakand)....
Full Cream Buffalo Milk- 2 Litres
Sugar – ½ cup
Cardamon powder- ½ tsp
Lemon Juice- 1 Tb spoon
5-Pistachio and 5 almond flakes for garnishing
1) Take a Heavy Bottomed pan and Boil 1 litre of milk over medium heat, stirring occasionally, making sure not to burn milk.
2) As soon as the milk comes to Boil start adding lemon juice gradually and keep stirring, the milk will curdle and start separating from whey, Now once all the milk fat is separated turn of the heat.
3) Now drain the whey using a strainer (chalni) which is lined with muslin cloth, after this you will have all the milk fat in the muslin cloth,discard the whey.
4) Wrap the milk fat in the same muslin cloth,and rinse under cold water,or dip it in a vessel full of cold water and squeeze well to take out excess water. This helps to take out the sourness from the lemon juice which we had added. Do not skip this step as we don’t want sour taste.
5) Now take out the milk fat from muslin cloth and keep it aside, Do not Knead it, let it stay grainy
6) Now we still have one litre of milk which we haven’t used, Boil this milk in heavy bottomed pan over low heat , stirring frequently so that it dosent get burnt until it reduces to half litre, By the end of this stage you will be left with half litre of thick milk.
7) Now Add the milk fat which you had kept aside to this thick milk and keep stirring on low heat till the mixture thickens and all the water has evaporated.
8) Finally add sugar and continue to cook and stirring until the mixture become soft lump and start leaving the pan from sides.
9) Pour it over greased plate keeping about half inch thick and garnish with pistachio and almond flakes, Let it cool for about one hour. Cut the Kalakand (milk Cake ) in squares.