One cup Basmati rice cleaned and soaked in water for 20 mins
2-3 tbsp Ghee
7-8 black peppers
2 bay leaves (Tejpatta)
2 cinnamon sticks
1 onion chopped finely
½ cup Mix Vegetables finely chopped ( carrot , potato, green peas ,red, yellow and green capsicum, French beans , cauliflower, fresh corn etc)
1 green chilly chopped finely
5-6 curry leaves
1 tsp cumin seeds
Salt to taste
Handful cashew nuts and raisins (optional)…Cilantro leaves – chopped (to garnish)
1) Heat the Ghee in a pressure cooker, and add cumin seeds, cinnamon, cloves, blackpepper, bay leaves, sauté for 10 seconds and then add curry leaves and green chillies, sauté for few more seconds and add the chopped onions and sauté till golden brown colour.
2) Now add mixed vegetables ( In this recipe I have used potatoes, carrots and green peas only, you may add more vegetables like fresh corn, baby corn, yellow, green and red capsicum, French beans, cauliflower etc…..Just go ahead with whatever you have in your pantry) and cook for 3-4 minutes.
3) Now add rice (drain water from soaked rice) and sauté for 2-3 mins, and then add salt and water ( 1 and ½ cups) and mix well
4) Now close the cooker and bring to full pressure on high heat, after one whistle reduce the heat (low flame)…and let stay for 2-3 minutes.
5) Then switch off the flame and allow to cool naturally..
6) Once cooled , open the cooker and mix the pulao gently , garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve with Raita and papad J