6 medium sized Bitter Gourd / Karela
2 Tb sp Oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
A pinch of Asafoetida/Hing
1 tsp Cumin/Jeera seeds
2 medium sized onions finely chopped
1 tbsp Sugar
2 tsp Amchur powder
1 tsp Garam Masala
2 tsp coriander powder
½ tsp turmeric powder
¼ tsp red chilli powder
Salt to taste
Chopped coriander leaves for Garnishing
1) Wash the Karela`s thoroughly (because we are not going to peel or scrape it) and pat dry.
2) Cut off the top and tail.
3) Now chop the Karela into small pieces… tender seeds should be included …and if the seeds are hard, you may want to discard…. I Love to include the hard seeds as well …for that extra little crunch J
4) Sprinkle 2-3 tsp of salt over the chopped Karela`s and cover and let stay for ½ hour ( Salts helps in Pulling out some bitterness from Karela)
5) After Half an hour drain out all the bitter and salty water from karela and again wash it thoroughly . Keep Aside.
6) In a pan heat 2 tbsp oil add asafetida (hing) and mustard seeds, After the mustard seeds splutter add cumin seeds .
7) When cumin seeds are done add chopped onions and sauté until golden brown
8) Now Add the chopped Karela`s and mix well, Further add coriander powder,turmeric powder, chilli powder and salt, Mix well and cook covered on low flame until soft and tender.(approx 10 mins)
9) When the Karela`s are done , add amchur powder, garam masala and sugar, mix well and cook uncovered for more five minutes, Sugar makes the Karela glossy.
10) Garnish with chopped coriander leaves ., Serve with Phulkas or Parathas …J